Sunday, June 22, 2008

A blog by any other name...

Will be just as difficult to keep up with.

Over the years, I've made more than my fair share of keeping a journal. Online, offline, in leather bound books, in scholastic lined notebooks. Most of them have failed to a certain degree. I have a stack of them under my bed. Some of them have the chronicles of trips, but nothing more than those few weeks. Others are half filled with drivel (yep, it's crap).

What is this? Why am I unable to commit to writing a few lines a day? I have no lack of confidence in my abilities as a writer. My last job, where I was dubbed a "wordsmith", saw me move to another level of writing. It was that which caused me to look for a job where all I did was write. As I said in my interview for my current job, "I am extremely talented."

I think I lack focus. I don't know why I write. Short stories and fiction, I don't know to end. To me, life goes on. Scenes are concluded, but nothing in my life has definitely ended. Stories go on. Observations and op-eds? I see too many sides (though I am unabashedly liberal). I'm a go with the flow kind of guy, and it makes focus difficult.

I'll try to keep this up. I really will. I'll make it a favorite and I'll try to use it as a warm up for the "official" writing I have to do. Speaking of which, next week I get to be a speech writer. And do voice over work.