Friday, June 20, 2008

I want to be a judge

I watched So You Think You Can Dance last night (it's a guilty pleasure and it's not just to look at pretty girls dancing. After years of watching dance with my wife, I actually can appreciate the art and athleticism of it and recognize many of the subtleties). It is my firm belief that the judges made a huge mistake last night and let an incredibly talented male dancer go from the show, keeping two good, but lesser, dancers.

His one weakness, as I saw it, was a lack of talent in putting choreography on himself. The judges termed his routine as a series of "tricks". I agree that it was disjointed and didn't necessarily flow with the music. But as a series of movements, each one highlighted his abilities. Because they didn't fit with the overall "story" playing out in the music, I think they were misconstrued. I think they did viewers a grave injustice.

But not him. The brief time on the show gave him a great deal of exposure. As Sam has told me, a decent male dancer has no problem finding a job dancing. There's a severe shortage. And this kid, while young, is extremely good. He should have no problem moving on the dance world.