Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dr. Death

I have to wonder, when is enough, enough?

Operation: Last Chance is an bring remaining Nazi war criminals to justice. It has recently dispatched a team to Patagonia in an effort to find Aribert Heim, also know as Dr. Death. His crimes, to be sure, are heinous and churn my stomach when I think about them.

If he is still alive, Heim just passed 94 years old. If he is still alive, he has spent the better part of those years running and hiding, always looking over his shoulder. These have probably not been peaceful years.

If he is found, what will they do to him? Certainly he will be tried, but will he live through the trial? And if he is found guilty, what will his punishment be at this point? Life imprisonment? That is as good a sentence as what he has now, where his "freedom" is questionable. It would also bring medical care if he falls ill, a dry roof over his head, and food, however bland it might be. He also would no longer have to run and hide. Or would it bring a sentence of death? For a 94 year old, this does not necessarily seem like a punishment. Nor is it humane (and giving this man death by lethal injection seems a bit hypocritical).

To be sure, if I were to see him, I would tackle him and turn him over to authorities. But why are they looking for him?

It's something I can't possibly understand. As atrocious as his crimes are, they were never targeted against me, and likely wouldn't have been. I react with outrage and fight for justice, but it isn't personal.

And maybe that's the missing piece for me: this Holocaust, and Heim's actions, are crimes against humanity to me. But to the Jews, Gypsies, and other people that it targeted, it was personal.

I am a part of humanity, as are they. Maybe this should be personal for me as well.