Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Looking forward

Italy is still in the back of my mind, despite a lack of posts about it. My aunt Rosemary passed away two weeks ago, and it was her dream to plan a family trip to Italy, and I had encouraged her and my cousin Laraine to go to Tuscany, to stay in Firenze, and to travel from there. I offered my experiences and to go as well, to help them plan a trip.

I don't know what will happen to that trip now, but I do plan on going back. Laraine keeps talking about it, reminding me of the books that I said I would loan her. She'll be up in a few weeks for some skiing, and I'll be sure to give her those tomes of knowledge. I would love to be in a position where I can afford to go back every year, to make a pilgrimage. Sam wished to go to Greece and Turkey, and I would love to do that as well. But my heart belongs to Italy.

My next visit to Italy will likely be in the south, around Napoli and Salerno. It's location makes trips to Rome easier, and also to the wine country of the south. I have family there, and future friends.